guix-devel

X/GDM fails on linux 5.0.7 AMD Radeon RX 580 after system reconfigure

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: X/GDM fails on linux 5.0.7 AMD Radeon RX 580 after system reconfigure
Date: Thu, 09 May 2019 17:58:06 +0200

Hi,

My last system reconfigure dates back to April 17th and works
flawlessly.
Yesterday I ran a new one and X / GDM don't start up properly:

- I can guess bits and pieces of the GDM interface but the screen is
  torn asunder by the most epic artifacts (green / purple flashing tiles).

- In a TTY, I see that GDM is restarting in an infinite loop.

- dmesg reports some "corruption" at the level of the video card (AMD
  Radeon RX 580).

The weird thing is that I'm still using Linux 5.0.7 like I was on April
17th and everything worked well.

I've tried both with linux-libre and a custom kernel.

Have we changed anything to the boot parameters maybe?

Side question: how do we know which Guix commit was used for a specific
system generation?  For now the only way I can think of is

/var/guix/profiles/system-17-link/profile/bin/guix --version

Anything more convenient?  From Emacs Guix?

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/