guix-devel

Re: QEmu image configuration

From: Vincent Legoll
Subject: Re: QEmu image configuration
Date: Fri, 3 May 2019 12:34:48 +0200

On Tue, Apr 30, 2019 at 5:49 AM Chris Marusich <address@hidden> wrote:
> Vincent Legoll <address@hidden> writes:
> > Shouldn't it be put in the VM image at /etc/config.scm ?
>
> If you build the image from a very recent version of Guix's source, it
> should be there, now (see below).

OK, thanks for the info, now that 1.0 is out, i'll retry with that one.

> > I finally managed to get the image working, but had to
> > guess a bit how to do it, I think the doc could be enhanced,
> > so that newbies like me won't get lost.
> >
> > I tried to have a look at where is the source for :
> > "6.2.14 Running GuixSD in a Virtual Machine"
> > But the guix/doc/guix.texi text I found in the git repo
> > looked different from what I read on the web site:
> > https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Running-GuixSD-in-a-VM.html
> >
> > Are they out of sync ? Or is the web manual rendered
> > from an older version of that file ?
>
> The website is synced periodically.  I think we keep the website synced
> to the latest release, so that when you download the latest release, the
> documentation you read on the website is precisely for the version of
> Guix that you downloaded.  If you update Guix later on, you should refer
> to the documentation that gets installed in your OS, rather than the
> website.  You can access it with a Texinfo reader, for example by
> invoking "info guix" on the command line or "C-h i" followed by "guix"
> in Emacs.

Again thanks, that's what I was thinking, but needed confirmation, I'll
see if something is still missing from the latest vesion, and send a
patch in that case.

> It may not be exactly the same version that was used to build the
> version available on the website, but you can find an up-to-date version
> of the VM image's OS configuration at
> './gnu/system/examples/vm-image.tmpl' in the Guix source:

Perfect, thanks for all and congrats for the reached milestone !

--
Vincent Legoll