guix-devel

Eliminate environment variable hints?

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Eliminate environment variable hints?
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2019 22:56:13 +0100

Hi Guix,

when installing a package into a profile Guix very helpfully tells you
that you may need to set certain environment variables.  It doesn’t tell
you that these environment variables can also be set by source’ing the
generated etc/profile file.

I have seen the bashrc and bash_profile files of many users and they are
usually full of conflicting environment variable definitions.  In these
files I often also see these Guix recommendations.

I think Guix should suggest sourcing the generated etc/profile file
instead of listing explicit environment variable definitions.  It would
be less noisy and less confusing, in my opinion.

What do you think?

(What about people who don’t use Bash?)

--
Ricardo