guix-devel

Re: Packaging CDEmu and VHBA kernel module

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: Packaging CDEmu and VHBA kernel module
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2019 02:34:45 -0800

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> writes:

> - Where to store the kernel module?

I'm not sure what the best way to build and use this will be.  FWIW, I
found these prior discussions.  Maybe they'll be useful:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2016-07/msg01457.html
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2018-02/msg00446.html
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-12/msg00221.html

I think you might need to build a custom linux-libre kernel.  You also
might need to fiddle with base-initrd or raw-initrd procedures to load
your module in the initrd.  See "(guix) Initial RAM Disk" for details.
Hopefully somebody else can give better guidance here.

> - VHBA's documentation recommends setting up some Udev rule.  Does it
>   mean that it's up to the user to configure those rules so that they
>   have access to VHBA and thus CDEmu?

Basically, I think the answer is "yes, the user has to do it."  That's
not a great user experience, though.

The best way right now to install udev rules is either to manually add
custom udev rules (see: (guix) Base Services) in your operating system
declaration, or manually add a service in your operating system
declaration that extends the udev-service-type (such a service should
add the right udev rules for you).

If you're defining a new system service, you can extend the
udev-service-type.  That way, anybody who uses your service will
automatically get the right rules.  However, I'm not sure that what you
are doing can be modeled as a system service.  You're adding a kernel
module, which is not accomplished by adding a system service.

Maybe there's a better way that I don't know about.  If so, I'd like to
know!

--
Chris