guix-devel

Re: Guix Emacs: use XRandr rather than Gdk?

From: Benjamin Slade
Subject: Re: Guix Emacs: use XRandr rather than Gdk?
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2019 20:09:06 -0700

Hi Ricardo & Guix-devel,

On 2019-02-12T07:59:13-0700, Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> wrote:
 > This is done by x-display-monitor-attributes-list, which is defined
 > in src/xfns.c.  It uses Gdk when Emacs is configured to USE_GTK (the
 > code that sets the source to “Gdk” is in an #ifdef).

 > We build Emacs with GTK+, but … we may not need to do this as Emacs
 > is not a regular GTK client.  I recall that there are other oddities
 > when using GTK, such as crashes when disconnecting from a remote
 > Emacs daemon, which only happens with a GTK build of Emacs.

Looking into this, I suspect the issue is not building the GTK version
(though it would be nice to have a Lucid-toolkit/x11 build available
through Guix at some point as I think I prefer it to the GTK one), but
rather instead that (looking at `emacs.scm`) it seems that Guix isn't
building Emacs with `libxrandr` as one of the (optional) (build time?)
dependencies, and so `frames.el` falls back to using Gdk rather than
XRandr.

What do you think? I can try testing out this theory (i.e. that
including `libxrandr` in `emacs.scm` may be enough to remedy the issue)
at some point, but it may be another week or two before I'll have time
so to do.

 -Ben

--
Benjamin Slade - https://babbagefiles.xyz - https://slade.jnanam.net
  `(pgp_fp: ,(21BA 2AE1 28F6 DF36 110A 0E9C A320 BBE8 2B52 EE19))