guix-devel

Re: GDM update!

From: Timothy Sample
Subject: Re: GDM update!
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2019 14:04:01 -0500

Hi Pierre,

Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> writes:

> While supporting Xsession and xinitrc is important for backward compatibility,
> Guix could also have its own way with shepherd user services (see the recent
> discussion on Guix-devel), which would supersede most "initialization
> dotfiles".

I agree, but we discussed this before and thought that it was too much
of a leap for right now.  Once we have session shepherd instances, we
could consider replacing the whole of “gdm-x-session” with launching a
session shepherd that would in-turn launch D-Bus and X and whatever
else.  That will be great, but it will take a lot longer.  In the
meantime, we might as well get GDM working the old way.

-- Tim