guix-devel

Re: libgtk3-nocsd and LD_PRELOAD

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: libgtk3-nocsd and LD_PRELOAD
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2019 22:58:01 +0100

Hello Björn!

Björn Höfling <address@hidden> skribis:

> I'm using Guix on top of Ubuntu. Error appears when using programs
> installed from Guix. After some investigations, I found out this
> environment variable is set in:
>
> /etc/X11/Xsession.d/51gtk3-nocsd-detect
>
>       *)
>           # not GNOME, and the user didn't specify GTK_CSD
>           # themselves, so set it to 0
>           if [ -z "$GTK_CSD" ] ; then
>               GTK_CSD=0
>           fi
>           export GTK_CSD
>           if [ x"$GTK_CSD"x = x"0"x ] ; then
>               export
> LD_PRELOAD="libgtk3-nocsd.so.0${LD_PRELOAD:+:$LD_PRE fi
>           ;;
>
> I'm currently using a non-GNOME windowing environment, so I'm in this case.
>
> The library is this:
>
> https://github.com/PCMan/gtk3-nocsd
>
> It should make some things nicer if you don't use GNOME. This seams to
> be a hack. Do we need this library in Guix too, to get some decorations
> back?

Regardless of what this library does, if you need to preload it for
Guix-built applications, then this library should also be built from
Guix (otherwise you end up with several libcs, etc. in the same process,
which is never a good thing.)

So I’d recommend packaging this library and then you can hopefully
preload at will.  :-)

HTH!

Ludo’.