guix-devel

Re: maven build system - new insights

From: Hartmut Goebel
Subject: Re: maven build system - new insights
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2019 13:00:45 +0100

Am 01.02.19 um 00:33 schrieb Ricardo Wurmus:
> Hartmut Goebel <address@hidden> writes:
>> The drawback of this approach is: This only works within the
>> build-system. Since within a normal environment or profile, there will
>> be no such unison repo. Thus for every day's work, users will still
>> download artifacts from the Internet and will not be able to use those
>> already installed on the system.
> A profile *is* a union of all installed packages.  If that’s not enough
> and more configuration is required we could do that in a profile hook.

I didn't know about the profile hooks. Nevertheless:

I want to emphasis that maven does *not* support some kind of "system
repository", as I explained in my original post. Even if you mimic a
"system repository", this will always *copy* the artifacts to
$HOME/.m2/repository. Debian uses some *extensions* to make maven use
some "system repository" - at least this is what I assume. So this is
much like xmvn, with a difference that end-users can not use it easily.

Beside this: I suggest first of all to design the expected behavior,
that reach out for a solution. Who is the one driving this? (I'm not, I
can't program guile :-)

--
Regards
Hartmut Goebel