guix-devel

Re: Promoting the GNU Kind Communication Guidelines?

From: Tonton
Subject: Re: Promoting the GNU Kind Communication Guidelines?
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2018 00:54:54 +0100

On Mon, 29 Oct 2018 19:50:05 +0100
HiPhish <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Monday, 29 October 2018 12:08:56 CET you wrote:
> > I think you a have burden of proof here, given that our culture at large
> > has serious issues with harassment.  Why would you think FLOSS community
> > is somehow different from the wider community?
> No, you have a burden of proof that "our" culture (whatever this "our" is
> supposed to mean, I have no idea where you live and you have no idea where
> I live) has a serious issue with harassment.

You, me, Alex and the rest of Guix share a culture. I'm assuming that is the
culture Alex refers to, not the cultures of our distinct offline locale.

Also, the burden of proof really is with HiPhish. Harassment in tech, and
FLOSS especially has been well documented. See for example:
http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/FLOSS
https://lwn.net/Articles/417952/
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/06/05/open_source_developer_survey_2017/
for a start.