guix-devel

Re: move "source /etc/profile" from .zlogin to .zprofile

From: Meiyo Peng
Subject: Re: move "source /etc/profile" from .zlogin to .zprofile
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2018 07:58:31 +0000

Hi Chris,

On Sun, Oct 14, 2018 at 6:30 AM Chris Marusich wrote:

> I haven't tested it, though.  Would you like to test it and
> let me know if it works for you?

Guix is still new to me, and I don't know how to apply the patch and
build guix. But I moved "source /etc/profile" from my .zlogin to
.zprofile and I have no problem.

> I see that zsh also sources files like /etc/zprofile when they exist.  I
> don't have a strong preference for putting this into /etc/zprofile
> vs. putting it into ~/.zprofile (via /etc/skel).  What do you think
> about that?

Usually I prefer to put less dot files in my $HOME directory. But I'm OK
with guix's solution.

> I've always found the relationship between shell start-up scripts to be
> confusing; everyone seems to want to configure them differently.

I agree. So I prefer to use fish shell, which is simpler. But I have to
temporarily switch to zsh until this bug is fixed: