guix-devel

Re: hpcguix-web, channels, and inferiors

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: hpcguix-web, channels, and inferiors
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2018 09:10:35 +0200

Hello,

Clément Lassieur <address@hidden> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hello Guix!
>>
>> There’s a little-known but neat program that Roel Janssen wrote called
>> hpcguix-web.  It’s a web UI (with JavaScript) that allows you to browse
>> packages; the UI can be customized, and Roel’s institution, for
>> instance, customizes it to provide instructions for their clusters.  You
>> can see it in action here:
>>
>>   https://guix-hpc.bordeaux.inria.fr/browse
>>
>> Until now hpcguix-web would just allow you to browse the list of
>> packages of the Guix it was built against (it used ’fold-packages’,
>> etc.)
>
> Would it make sense to integrate it into Cuirass?  We could browse
> packages on Cuirass and to each package would be associated a link to
> its build status on different architectures, etc.
>
> What do you think?

Good question.  Some sort of integration is desirable, with links as you
mention.  Now Cuirass is not specifically about packages, conceptually
at least, so IMO having both features in the same tool would “break the
abstraction.”

What we could do, though, is run hpcguix-web and Cuirass on the same
machine, and customize hpcguix-web such that it includes links to
Cuirass builds, for example.  hpcguix-web already provides a level of
customization that should make it easy.

WDYT?

Thanks,
Ludo’.