guix-devel

Re: Help needed: Updating GHC to 8.4.3

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Help needed: Updating GHC to 8.4.3
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2018 18:02:42 +0200

Hey Tim,

thank you so much for helping with GHC!

> To summarize, there are three problems with the original patch:
>
>   1. it uses “ld.bfd” instead of “ld” (skipping the wrapper);
>   2. it references native tools instead of target tools; and
>   3. it requires certain tools to be available from “PATH”.
>
> Problems 2 and 3 affect GHC 8.0.2 too.  Problem 1 is new.  At this
> point, I’m thinking that using either “--disable-ld-override” or “LD=ld”
> might be the most reasonable approach (they do the same thing, but the
> second one is clearer IMO).  It means that GHC will look for GCC and
> friends in “PATH”, but this is how GCC itself works currently with
> “binutils”.  It has the added benefit that these will likely be the
> tools for the target platform.
>
> WDYT?

I set the LD environment variable as suggested and the package build is
getting much further.  Thank you!

I’m not too concerned about the 2nd and 3rd problems, because at least
GHC 8.4.3 will likely be good enough to build all of our Haskell
packages.

We should record the other problems as bugs on address@hidden

--
Ricardo