guix-devel

Re: Graft hooks

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: Graft hooks
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2018 03:15:59 -0400

Hi Ludovic,

> Since this is used when grafting Racket, I would suggest moving this
> graft to the “build side” entirely, similar to what I did in
> <https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=19973#25>.  Probably
> you’d just add a single procedure to (guix build graft) and add it to
> %graft-hooks.
>
> That procedure could be the same as what you have above, except that
> it’d run OUT/bin/raco, if it exists, and do nothing if OUT/bin/raco does
> not exist.
>
> WDYT?

I think it would be quite unfortunate if _every_ graft had to run
_every_ graft hook, or if every graft hook had to be defined in
(guix grafts) and/or (guix build graft).

It's reasonable to have a few global graft hooks, e.g. for handling
debugging information, but I would greatly prefer for Guix to also have
a mechanism allowing individual packages or build systems to introduce
graft hooks without modifying (guix grafts) or (guix build graft), and
for such a mechanism to be used for Racket and its libraries.

Having said this, I haven't looked at this issue carefully, so perhaps
I'm midjudging the difficulty of adding such a mechanism.

What do you think?

      Mark