guix-devel

hiding “guix system” messages

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: hiding “guix system” messages
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2018 21:02:12 +0200

Hi Guix,

when installing / building / reconfiguring a system, Guix spawns a few
tools that produce output that might be confusing or misleading.  One
example is the output of the GRUB installation, which says things like
“Installation finished. No error reported.” or that it’s installing
something for a 386 system.

I think we should hide (redirect to a log file) or at least prefix
messages that are produced by tools that Guix spawns.  We could then
deliberately print messages that indicate the “phases” of installing the
system, such as “Installing GRUB…”, “Creating user accounts…”, etc.

What do you think?

--
Ricardo