guix-devel

Re: core-updates schedule

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: core-updates schedule
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2018 11:59:25 +0200

> Hi there!
>
> Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>>> This is a reminder about the “core-updates” branch.  Our plan was to
>>> freeze the branch on <2018-08-06 Mon> and aim to merge the branch into
>>> “master” on <2018-08-20 Mon>, dependent on how long it takes to fix all
>>> problems and build most packages.
>>>
>>> Freezing the branch means that only commits to fix build failures may be
>>> pushed.
>>>
>>> We will need volunteers to watch build failures on the Hydra web
>>> interface.
>>
>> I’m still working on the GNOME updates.  I branched them off
>> core-updates some weeks ago and today I finally succeeded in building
>> the “gnome” package.  Many of the changes, I assume, will cause a large
>> number of packages to be rebuilt, so I’d like to merge the changes into
>> core-updates.
>
> I’m late to the party, but what’s the status?  It seems we a bit behind
> schedule, but it looks like a good time to resume work on this.

The GNOME updates are ready (in a separate branch), but I haven’t been
able to actually test them as I could not rebuild all of core-updates on
my laptop to install a GNOME system.  We left out most of the changes
that were needed for GNOME, though some of them were also made on
staging and some have been cherry picked into core-updates.

Some of the delays are due to the work on staging, which had to be
merged into core-updates first.  (This has already been done.)

> Today I’ll try switching to glibc 2.28, and if it works well, I’d like
> to make it the last big change in ‘core-updates’.

Marius was working glibc 2.28 and that was the last big change I wanted
to allow into core-updates.  I don’t know how close Marius was in
getting this done.

--
Ricardo