guix-devel

Re: bootstrap integration strategies

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: bootstrap integration strategies
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2018 21:52:01 +0200

Jan Nieuwenhuizen writes:

> My idea was to remove gcc, glibc and binutils from the x86 bootstrap
> binaries (possibly one at a time) and replace them by M1+Mes+Tcc-built
> ones.  Possibly by adding an alternative %bootstrap-binaries package
> without them.  Then build the x86 system on top of that.  Then, or
> meanwhile, start thinking about x86_64 or AArch64.

I've been trying to cleanup the dependencies in wip-bootstrap.  I found
that using `package-with-bootstrap-guile' confuses guix graph.  Or so it
seems, many duplicates of those packages show up.

Here's an image created with this hack: replace
`package-with-bootstrap-guile' with `identity' in commencement.scm and
mes.scm

Where it says `bootstrap-binaries0', not that binutils, gcc, glibc are
not used.

PNG image

Greetings,
janneke