guix-devel

Re: Comparing Guix packages list with other distributions

From: Björn Höfling
Subject: Re: Comparing Guix packages list with other distributions
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2018 07:34:39 +0200

On Tue, 10 Jul 2018 14:29:49 -0400
rchar01 <address@hidden> wrote:

> I was looking for a way to compare Guix packages (versions, quantity)
> with other distributions and found a simple solution:
> https://repology.org/ https://github.com/repology/repology
>
> Best,
> Robert

Hi Robert,

thanks for bringing attention back to this nice site! ng0 already
mentioned it a while ago and I'm looking at it from time to time.

Here is the overview page for Guix with some statistics and graphs:

https://repology.org/repository/gnuguix

Note the slowly degration in the graph as other distros update their
packages. Then we have a rapid step up, caused by either
core-updates/staging-merges or updating of the websites package list.

And this is the list of outdated Packages (Much work to pick
from :-) ):

https://repology.org/metapackages/?inrepo=gnuguix&outdated=1

Currently, the site says we have 2494 out of 7855 packages outdated, so
about a quarter of our packages are outdated. Repology doesn't check the
upstream sites, so outdatedness in Repology is always relative to the
other distros. There could be even more work.

From the overview page, there is also a link to a problems page:

https://repology.org/repository/gnuguix/problems

We have 914 "problems". Recently that was at about 300. The problems are
mainly redirects http->https, some dead sites or 404-errors. The big
jump with about 600 new problems came due to the closing of CPAN search
engine, now you should use MetaCPAN.

There is also a REST API for Repology. One could even write a
"checker"/updater for Guix, though I wasn't sure how it would fit into
the zoo of (language-)specialized updaters Guix has.

Finally Repology has some rules to fit package names of different
distributions together to socalled "metapackages":

https://github.com/repology/repology-rules

Whenever there are packages in Guix that do not compare to those of
others distros, one could offer a pull-request against the
rules-sourcecode-repository.

Björn