guix-devel

Re: guix package is slow

From: George Clemmer
Subject: Re: guix package is slow
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2018 12:42:12 -0400

Alex Kost <address@hidden> writes:

> "M-x guix" can't be an entry point for this or any other interface, it
> is only for "guix" *shell* commands.  Actually I'm very surprised
> someone uses "M-x guix", I find it unpractical.

Agreed. FWIW, when I am trying to find an emacs-guix command I type 'M-x
guix-' and search the completions. But sometimes I forget the '-' and
when this pops up I am like ... UGH ;-(

I wanted to use and like the "M-x Guix" pop-up, I really did. I figured
the Guix CLI needed all the help it could get ;-) I tried several times
to learn this, but I just couldn't get the hang of it. I also tried it
in magit and it didn't work for me there.  This makes me wonder: a) Am I
am a dope? b) Do people really use this?

> I even plan to rename it to "M-x guix-command", and to make "M-x guix"
> a real entry point for the various Emacs-Guix commands (including
> "guix-command" and all the interfaces).

That's a great idea.

If "M-x guix" is not widely used you might consider deleting it
altogether.

- George