guix-devel

Re: Updating udisks: New dependencies (libblockdev, volume-key, dmraid,

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Updating udisks: New dependencies (libblockdev, volume-key, dmraid, libbytesize, ndctl...)
Date: Tue, 29 May 2018 19:16:22 +0200

Howdy!

Nils Gillmann <address@hidden> skribis:

> Pierre Neidhardt transcribed 1.3K bytes:
>>
>> I'm working on updating udisks from the "old legacy" version (which is
>> currently packaged in Guix) to version 2.7.6.
>>
>>      https://github.com/storaged-project/udisks
>>
>> It turns out to be much harder than expected!  Recent versions of udisks
>> depend on libblockdev, which in turn depends on the
>> volume_key, dmraid, libbytesize, ndctl and possibly more, all of which
>> are not packaged in Guix yet.
>>
>> What do you think?  Is it worth it?  Any alternative to udisks?
>
> Possibly there are alternatives, but it is required by some parts in
> Guix. So,
>
>> Otherwise I'll go ahead and send a big fat patch set.
>
> as Invader Zim would say: "More patches means more Guix!" (go for it :)).

Agreed.  :-)

I guess we can’t really avoid udisks and it does the job well anyway, so
let’s go for the big patch set!  Maybe in 2020 we’ll have a bunch of
Scheme modules doing that job?  :-)

BTW, regarding patch sets, please make sure to send the first message to
address@hidden (the cover letter), and then to send the other
patches of that series to address@hidden, where NNN is the number
assigned as a result of sending your first message.

TIA!
Ludo’.