guix-devel

GSoC-2018 - Build daemon rewrite in Scheme Updates

From: Sandeep Subramanian
Subject: GSoC-2018 - Build daemon rewrite in Scheme Updates
Date: Tue, 29 May 2018 11:50:45 +0530

Hi all,

It has been two weeks since I started working on
the project and I thought I will give you all a quick
update regarding it.

`build-derivation` is now using `call-with-container`
and it seems to work well. `build-derivation` assumes
that all the inputs needed for the derivation is already
built and ready. As a next step I wanted to try and build
the `inputDrvs` if the inputs are missing.

I looked through the C++ code to find out how exactly
this is done and I have a good understanding of it now.
I plan to emulate the behaviour of the C++ code for
the entire derivation building pipeline.

I spent a lot of time browsing the C++ code base and had
to keep going back to it often, since I had trouble keeping
the C++ code flow in memory. So, I thought it would be
worthwhile to write some detailed notes on the C++ daemon
code base that I can refer to while coding. The notes I made
can be found here: https://github.com/uniq10/gsoc-guix-notes/blob/master/daemon-notes.md

If anybody find any mistakes in those notes kindly let me know.

--
uniq10