guix-devel

Re: Don't change "+" syntax in guix/.dir-locals.el

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Don't change "+" syntax in guix/.dir-locals.el
Date: Mon, 28 May 2018 11:34:27 +0200

Alex Kost <address@hidden> skribis:

> Highlighting?  Sorry, I don't understand what you mean: highlighting
> will not be effected in any way.  The problem is that those
> 'modify-syntax-entry' lines in ".dir-locals.el" break the default syntax
> table of scheme-mode, so "+", "$" and "~" characters are not considered
> to be parts of symbols (variable names in particular), i.e.
> (re-search-forward "\\s_" nil t) doesn't find them as it should.
>
> Since you added those lines, you probably know what Paredit problem you
> fixed by that (perhaps this problem should be fixed in Paredit itself?)

Yes, the comment gives an idea:

   ;; This notably allows '(' in Paredit to not insert a space when the
   ;; preceding symbol is one of these.

Basically if you don’t have it, when you type “#$(foo)”, Paredit inserts
a space before the opening parenthesis.

I think it also allows #$ to be highlighted in a special way.

HTH!

Ludo’.