guix-devel

Re: Libreoffice source disappeared

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: Libreoffice source disappeared
Date: Mon, 21 May 2018 13:18:25 -0400

On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 12:13:56AM -0700, Chris Marusich wrote:
> * For a given version X.Y.Z, the release cycle behaves like this:
>
>   * Before the release is announced, any number of X.Y.Z.N release
>     candidates may be published.  Based on what we saw just recently, as
>     new releases are added, the old ones will be removed from the main
>     download location.
>
>   * Once the release is announced, no further X.Y.Z.N release candidates
>     will be published, and the last "N" is used as the X.Y.Z release.
>
> So, the reason 5.4.7.2 replaced 5.4.7.1 when it came out is because the
> 5.4.7 release hasn't been announced yet.  Until the 5.4.7 release has
> been announced, we might see more release candidates (e.g., 5.4.7.3).

Okay, who could have guessed? ;)

Generally, we don't package release candidates, so let's add a comment
in the LibreOffice package definition to avoid doing this again.

> OK.  Since LibreOffice officially supports both 5 and 6, we could also
> choose to offer both 5 and 6 if the maintenance burden isn't too high.
> I do not plan to add this myself (but I might - you never know), so
> anyone who is interested should feel free to try adding LibreOffice 6.

The maintenance burden would mostly consist of waiting for the loooooong
LibreOffice compilation to finish.

> Actually, today they told me that the "old" location contains
> everything, even the new releases.  To simplify things, perhaps we
> should always just use the "old" location.  What do you think?

Yeah, let's just use "old" and add a code comment explaining it.