guix-devel

Re: Updating librsvg

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: Updating librsvg
Date: Thu, 10 May 2018 12:53:29 -0400

Marius Bakke <address@hidden> writes:

> Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi Marius,
>>
>> thanks for working on this!
>>
>>> Our current version of librsvg is officially unmaintained, and the
>>> latest version requires Rust.
>> […]
>>> * librsvg requires Cairo 1.15, which is not a "stable" release branch.
>>
>> Is there a maintained version of librsvg that depends on a stable
>> release version of Cairo?
>
> Unfortunately not.  The 2.42 series is the only maintained version of
> librsvg, and depends on both Rust and the Cairo development branch.

There will be trouble if we try to link two different versions of
libcairo.so into the same process, so we cannot use the Cairo
development branch in librsvg while using the release branch of Cairo
elsewhere.  We would need to update our core Cairo package to 1.15.x.

So, I think the soonest we could consider doing this would be in
'core-updates-next'.  Even then, I would be quite nervous about doing
so, because Cairo is a core part of our graphics stack, and I don't
think librsvg is important enough to risk such a crucial component.

Hopefully Cairo 1.16 will be released soon, or perhaps the librsvg
developers could be persuaded to add support for Cairo 1.14.x.

What do you think?

In any case, thanks very much for your investigation.

      Mark