guix-devel

Re: Building guix-modular with cuirass

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Building guix-modular with cuirass
Date: Thu, 10 May 2018 00:05:31 +0200

Hi!

Mathieu Othacehe <address@hidden> skribis:

> On the same topic, as I explained in a previous email
> (https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-03/msg00222.html) my
> main use-case for cuirass is to evaluate my manifest and build the
> corresponding packages.
>
> I could use 'cuirass-jobs' procedure and set arguments to (#:arguments
> (subset . "my-package-1" "my-package-2" ...)). The drawback of this
> approach is that everytime the manifest is updated, a reconfigure of
> cuirass service is needed to update the package list.
>
> I'd like to have an upstream mecanism were cuirass evaluates a local
> manifest file (or even better take it from a git repository), an build
> all the corresponding packages. The only configuration input from the
> user would be the path of his manifest.
>
> My first idea would be to add a piece of code in
> build-aux/hydra/build-manifest.scm that would pull a manifest specified
> as an argument, evaluates the packages it contains and feed it to
> cuirass but that sounds a bit hacky.
>
> Any better idea ?

Perhaps we can make the package selection mechanism in
build-aux/hydra/gnu-system.scm a bit more flexible and export the
relevant procedures so you can write your own build-manifest.scm that
would just be a few lines and otherwise reusing what gnu-system.scm
already provides.

How does that sound?

Ludo’.