guix-devel

Re: Redefining the maximum path length [Fwd: Re: [GNUnet-developers] usi

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Redefining the maximum path length [Fwd: Re: [GNUnet-developers] using $TMPDIR instead of /tmp]
Date: Mon, 07 May 2018 18:37:31 +0200

Pjotr Prins <address@hidden> skribis:

> On Sun, May 06, 2018 at 08:17:20PM +0000, Nils Gillmann wrote:
>> > That path is only 98 characters long. What limit do you think it is
>> > exceeding?
>
> It may be a shell restriction rather than a kernel restriction.

It’s a kernel restriction.

I think the main reason for these arbitrary limits is that in C it’s
easier to deal with fixed-size arrays than with dynamically-allocated
arrays.  :-)

(A valid argument to limiting the length of file names is that it could
make it easy to DoS a system.  But then, that limit could very well be
configurable at run time, pretty much like rlimits, if it were the only
reason…)

Ludo’.