guix-devel

Re: Introducing myself as an Outreachy Intern

From: Christopher Lemmer Webber
Subject: Re: Introducing myself as an Outreachy Intern
Date: Fri, 04 May 2018 10:29:37 -0500

Ricardo Wurmus writes:

> Welcome Sahithi!
>
>> I Sahithi Yarlagadda, a Free Software enthusiast. I am from India,
>> pursuing my under graduation final semester in Computer Science. I will
>> be working as an Outreachy Intern for May-August 2018. I am glad to be
>> part of Guix Community. I have been working with Ricardo Wurmus during
>> the application process. He helped me in understanding and working with
>> Guix. Community has given a great support, expecting the same till the end.

Hello Sahithi!  I'm very excited to have you joining our community!

> In my experience, this community is very supportive, patient, and
> friendly.  I’m sure you will find the same.  I’m looking forward to
> working with you and hope you’ll enjoy the experience.  Feel free to ask
> questions by sending email to address@hidden — chances are that
> someone else has the same question but didn’t dare to ask.

This has been my experience also.  I think "not being afraid to ask" is
one of the biggest challenges, in my experience, for students coming in
from Google Summer of Code or Outreachy.

Luckily you have a realy great mentor, and people here are generally
very happy to answer questions!

> To the rest of the Guix community: please welcome Sahithi and support
> this project by answering questions on IRC or here on the list.

Horray!  Welcome!  (Wait, I already said that, but welcome again!)

> I should add that Sahithi will be working on the project “Improve the
> user experience for the "guix package" command line tool”, which will
> address some of the major and minor problems that the command line
> interface currently has.  I’m the primary mentor for this project, and
> Gábor has volunteered to be co-mentor.  Thank you, Gábor!

Oh!  This is very exciting!