guix-devel

Re: Call for project proposals: Guix and Outreachy

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: Call for project proposals: Guix and Outreachy
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2018 10:58:28 +0100

Hi Gábor,

thanks for your ideas.

> 1. port guix to RISCV - I currently feel I could not mentor this
> though.

I have a feeling that this may not be suitable for a three-month
internship because we don’t even have the RISC-V toolchain yet.
Building these things takes a long time, so it can be quite discouraging
for a new contributor to work on this.

> 2. write a JVM inmplementation in guile to stabilize our java
> bootstrap path

This is quite a lot of work and not really suited for new contributors.
I like the idea, though, and think that eventually some of us should
give it a try.

> 3. rewrite more things currently provided by bootstrap binaries in
> guile to reduce our bootsrap binary base.

This seems good, as it consists of many independent sub-projects.  On
the other hand: we already have a couple of implementations that are
just not used in Guix at this point.  For example, there are a couple of
Guile implementations of tar out there (I remember Mark H Weaver posted
one some years ago), and there’s even a Bash interpreter out there
(written by Rutger).

> 9. get guix publish to work on some solution, that allows us to share
> pre-built packages outside our local network - I have a feeling that this
> could speed up development on core-updates and feature branches.

Do you mean publishing to GNUnet?

> 10. provide user interface to our build farm where we could request
> building a specific package.

A user interface to the build farm would generally be useful.  I don’t
see how it would keep someone busy for three months, but I think this
proposal is worth fleshing out.

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net