guix-devel

Re: Translating to Chinese, Spanish and Japanese (and more)

From: pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)
Subject: Re: Translating to Chinese, Spanish and Japanese (and more)
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2018 11:49:44 +0100

On Mon, Feb 05, 2018 at 11:19:59AM +0100, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Heya!
>
> For those who where not at FOSDEM: this is a topic we discussed, and the
> main stumbling block currently is that it’s not clear how to add i18n
> support in Haunt and/or the web site itself.
>
> julien lepiller <address@hidden> skribis:
>
> > as I said during FOSDEM, I'm willing to translate the website, blog
> > posts, and manual into French.  My only concern is that the translations
> > may fall out of sync without anyone noticing.  With gettext, it's easy
> > to know when strings are not translated, but what about the solution
> > that would be used by haunt?
>
> The latest discussions I’m aware of on this topic are at:
>
>   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-user/2017-12/msg00024.html
>
> Florian proposed introducing a “stringly-typed” markup language to allow
> the translation of strings that contain markup (which sxml would
> prevent):
>
>   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-user/2017-12/msg00040.html
>
> At FOSDEM I thought we could maybe use XML-in-strings directly and have
> a macro that does ‘xml->sxml’ at expansion time, pretty much like what
> Florian wrote above.
>
> Anyway there are ideas floating around, so I’m sure you and Florian and
> others will find out!  :-)
>
> Ludo’.

I don’t think translators should need to know XML or anything beside
common sense and human languages.  Either way, I’m happy with __ and _
functions I have at
https://pelzflorian.de/git/pelzfloriande-website/tree/haunt.scm

Of course other solutions are possible.

I’m not happy with my using ffi-help for calling libgettext.  Simply
calling setlocale for each piece of SHTML is better because it is
easier to understand.  Using a custom Guile MO file reader would
likely be faster but is not strictly necessary.

So far I did not prioritize sending a patch for Haunt because I do not
need it urgently.  I would be thankful if others took a look.
Otherwise I’ll try to implement what I described in this here e-mail
thread.