guix-devel

Re: [RFC] A simple draft for channels

From: Ricardo Wurmus
Subject: Re: [RFC] A simple draft for channels
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2018 21:37:04 +0100

> One thing that’s still an open question is how we should treat Guix
> itself in that channelized world.
>
> Should Guix be a “normal” channel?

Guix as such should not be a “normal” channel; “(gnu packages *)”,
however, could be considered a channel.  I don’t see any use of
disabling it, though.

But maybe there’s potential here to split up that namespace into core
packages and non-core packages.  Then we could allow users to disable
all but the core packages (such as the bootstrap) and possibly drop in
replacements from their own channels.  This would give users a little
more control over the set of available packages, but this all sounds a
little too speculative to me at this point.

My initial goal is much simpler.

--
Ricardo