guix-devel

Re: Installation

From: myglc2
Subject: Re: Installation
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2018 11:41:43 -0500

On 01/18/2018 at 16:11 Ricardo Wurmus writes:

> ng0 <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Do we have the ability to separate features, like --enable-experimental
>> passed
>> to configure build Guix with certain features that might break your
>> OS?
>
> That would be too vague to be useful.
>
>> Otoh
>> we already presume that people setting up GuixSD today know enough about
>> systems
>> to recover from failures (which is another undocumented problem/usecase with
>> GuixSD).
>
> I don’t think that we do.  There should not be failures that leave the
> system broken.  If there are then these are bugs and should be reported.

I agree with Ricardo's assesment and in my experience (running
Guix/Debian and GuixSD on physical intel E3 servers for that last two
years) 'guix system reconfigure" has NEVER left my system broken.

The only times guixSD has become broken are when I physically moved the
boot drive around. Maybe this is fixed. For details see ...

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2018-01/msg00245.html