guix-devel

address@hidden: 02/02: gnu: mpv: Update to 0.28.0.]

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: address@hidden: 02/02: gnu: mpv: Update to 0.28.0.]
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2017 14:18:32 -0500

Hi Rutger,

----- Forwarded message from Rutger Helling <address@hidden> -----

Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2017 04:52:26 -0500 (EST)
From: Rutger Helling <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Subject: 02/02: gnu: mpv: Update to 0.28.0.

rhelling pushed a commit to branch master
in repository guix.

commit abc5ef5a7f7fecb99ca8213c0962f42cc1a65552
Author: Rutger Helling <address@hidden>
Date:   Wed Dec 27 10:46:26 2017 +0100

    gnu: mpv: Update to 0.28.0.

    * gnu/packages/video.scm (mpv): Update to 0.28.0.
    [inputs]: Change ffmpeg to ffmpeg-git, add wayland-protocols.

-----

As a frequent user of mpv, I also noticed that its latest release
requires this unreleased branch of FFmpeg (it will eventually be
released as FFmpeg 3.5).

I wonder, does mpv 0.28.0 bring some new features that make it worth it
to build three copies of FFmpeg? There was already ffmpeg-2.8 and
address@hidden (the latest upstream release). And, do we know if this copy
of FFmpeg is ready to be deployed?

If I remember correctly, FFmpeg is pretty expensive to build from
source. But maybe it's no big deal, or the new features are worth it. Or
maybe we should replace address@hidden with this unreleased development
branch.