guix-devel

Re: Needs enhancement: "is my guix current?"

From: Alex Vong
Subject: Re: Needs enhancement: "is my guix current?"
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2017 18:56:53 +0800

Hello,

I think if you never run 'guix refresh', then the guix installed should
always be newer than the guix known to guix.

The argument is as followed:
When you install guix, the guix known to guix is at least 1 commit older
than the installed guix. When you run 'guix pull', the installed guix is
updated to its latest version in master and the guix known to guix is
also always at least 1 commit older than that latest version.
(The reason for the >= 1 commit lag is because it takes 1 commit to
update the hash for the guix known to guix.)

To sum up, if you never run 'guix refresh', then the guix installed
should always be newer than the guix known to guix. If you have run
'guix refresh', then we know nothing since 'guix refresh' only updates
the guix known to guix (whch mess up the invariant).

Hope this make sense!