guix-devel

Re: guile-git trouble (building from source) - guix archive to the rescu

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Re: guile-git trouble (building from source) - guix archive to the rescue
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2017 16:55:45 +0200

On Sun, Aug 06, 2017 at 07:26:25PM -0500, Christopher Allan Webber wrote:
> > I wish we had a bullet proof way of installing from source. I had it
> > with guix environment and now that won't work because guile-git is
> > missing and I can't bootstrap...
>
> Save us, content addressed storage! :)

How about providing a Guix-archive of guix on the download page? That
is how I rescued myself before by building an archive elsewhere and
installing that.  Version incombatibilities are not likely to be
disruptive and we can provide older versions too.

The alternative is using a Guix binary install in a proot and build
Guix from there. And create an archive that can be installed.

Having a Guix archive on the download page with the latest build would
make it real easy to rescue an existing Guix installation. Besides,
people will be intrigued by what that download is.

Pj.