guix-devel

Re: adwaita-icon-theme issue, cannot install GuixSD

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Re: adwaita-icon-theme issue, cannot install GuixSD
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2017 15:36:59 -0400

On Wed, Aug 02, 2017 at 02:48:28PM +0000, Joshua Branson wrote:
> This is probably a question that should be asked on address@hidden
> guix-devel is really more for development quesitions, not trouble shooting.

Yes, but it's okay :) We can answer it here, too.

> On 08/02/2017 07:27 AM, address@hidden wrote:
> > I cannot install GuixSD because adwaita-icon-theme is broken (unexcepted
> > end of file). If I'm doing guix pull, then guix fails to check (two tests
> > are FAIL).

The first issue, with adwaita-icon-theme, can be worked around by
running whichever command failed with the '--fallback'. This will build
from source anything that failed to be downloaded.

Regarding `guix pull`, can you tell us which tests failed?

In general, my advice for installing GuixSD is to start with the
simplest GuixSD system configuration file (typically /etc/config.scm)
that you can boot the new system with. Once you've installed GuixSD, you
can edit your configuration file and reconfigure the system to include
all the bells and whistles.

I recommend this because the installation process is relatively fragile
compared to reconfiguring an installed system. So, if you make the
installation rely on the smallest number of packages and services, you
have a better chance of success.

> > I'm using EFI installation with encrypted root. EFI partition doesn't have
> > mapped-devices dependency.

I don't have much experience with EFI. Hopefully somebody else has some
advice here.