guix-devel

Naming "test only" package variants

From: Leo Famulari
Subject: Naming "test only" package variants
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2017 13:52:10 -0400

So far we have a couple package variants that are intended to be used in
other packages' test suites, and never referenced by the built package.
This allows us to update the "primary" package more cheaply.

For example, xorg-server and tzdata offer variants like this.

Should we make a special name for these variants? I forgot to update the
test-only tzdata in this core-updates cycle, but I might have remembered
if there was a well-known name suffix like 'tzdata-for-tests' or
something like that.

I ask because I'm about to do the same thing for net-tools.