guix-devel

Re: Automatically detect other OSs and generate grub entries

From: Arun Isaac
Subject: Re: Automatically detect other OSs and generate grub entries
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2017 01:29:41 +0530

Ludovic Courtès writes:

> Arun Isaac <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> Instead of having to manually specify custom grub entries in config.scm,
>> can Guix use os-prober to automatically detect other operating system
>> and generate grub entries?
>>
>> https://joeyh.name/code/os-prober/
>
> I think there is value in having everything in the GuixSD config, which
> can then be put under version control.
>
> Now, I have a single OS on my machines so I’m probably not part of the
> target audience.  :-)
>
> Thoughts?

I too now only have a single OS. So, I don't really need this feature
either. But, I do think we should offer an user experience as close as
possible to other distros. Hence, I think automatic os detection and
grub generation is worthwile. It's nice to have the grub work
automagically out of the box.

Also, I noticed that custom grub entries are a problem for the proposed
"guix system delete-generations"

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2017-03/msg00194.html

Would automatic grub generation solve, or at least alleviate, this
problem?