guix-devel

Re: [directory-discuss] guix tags that could be automatically extracted

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: [directory-discuss] guix tags that could be automatically extracted
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2017 15:33:59 +0200

ng0,

On 16/07/17 14:07, ng0 wrote:
> What I expressed last night:
>
> I don't want any additions to the connections made without the
> consent of people using guix.

The proposal then was using Guix to ‘feed’ the Directory, not the other
way round. We as a project can't prohibit others to export data from
their Guix checkout to their wiki if they'd so desire.

However, individual authors probably have some sort of copyright over
the data in some jurisdiction, which is why I don't see it happening.

> What exactly does this mean? Everything should be within Guix. The
> default should be to *not* call some mediawiki for more information.
> If we even have the option to query this mediawiki and the
> information doesn't have to be present in guix like translations, I
> want it to be optional and you have to opt-in to (receiving) these
> (informations).

A sentiment which I support in general, but which makes no sense when
discussing ‘guix import’, whose entire purpose in this life is to query
external sources. What's so different about this one?

(I'm not personally advocating adding *this particular one* — I have
nothing against the project, but do think our descriptions are slightly
better on average. Quiliro's proposal seemed interesting enough to
discuss here: they're obviously eager to contribute, and this would be a
relatively easy importer to write :-)

> Please discuss this either on guix-devel or on the other list, but
> don't CC me into one of the famous gnu.org cross-posting
> discussions. Thanks for your consideration.

What?

I don't think this proposal will be going anywhere because of licencing
hurdles alone, anyway, so you'll not be disturbed by any more replies
from me.

Kind regards,

T G-R