guix-devel

Re: compiling guix is too slow?

From: Alex Vong
Subject: Re: compiling guix is too slow?
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2017 22:39:10 +0800

Alex Kost <address@hidden> writes:

> Alex Vong (2017-07-04 16:16 +0800) wrote:
>
> [...]
>> Is there an intermediate approch? Is is possible for Emacs to signal a
>> warning when the required features are not found, but still continue
>
> If you wish to have a message in *Messages* buffer, you can do it like
> this:
>
> (unless (require 'foo nil t)
>   (message "Error during loading 'foo'!!!"))
>
> or like this:
>
> (with-demoted-errors "%S" (require 'foo))
>
> If you want to have a warning in a pop-up buffer, then:
>
> (unless (require 'foo nil t)
>   (display-warning 'oops "Error during loading 'foo'!!!"))

OK.

> [...]
>> Thanks for the suggestion! It turns out setting NIX_STATE_DIR to
>> "/usr/local/var/guix/" and making "~/.config/guix/latest" pointing to
>> "~/scm/guix/" completely resolves the problem. So now only a oneliner is
>> required:
F>>
>>   (require 'guix-autoloads '() t)
>
> Actually, why do you need this line at all?  Such autoloads should be
> loaded automatically.  Do you also require autoloads of other emacs
> packages?  Do you use Emacs from Guix or from your operating system (not
> GuixSD)?

Indeed, even that line is not needed. I think that was needed when
Emacs-Guix was still part of Guix.

>> Do you think it is a bug that Emacs-Guix does not set
>> `guix-state-directory' correctly?
>
> I'm not sure what you mean.  It sets this variable to "/var/guix" by
> default (or to NIX_STATE_DIR if you use it).  If you use Guix with a
> non-standard state directory, how can Emacs-Guix define it?
>
> BTW, don't you have problems using "/usr/local/var" as the state
> directory?

It works on my laptop so far...

> If you use guix from a git checkout, I think it is a standard practice
> to configure it with "--localstatedir=/var".  It is even mentioned in
> the manual a couple of times:
>
>   (info "(guix) Building from Git")
>   (info "(guix) Requirements")

Hmm, I am unaware of this practice. I'll re-install Guix with
"--localstatedir=/var".

Indeed, the manual mentions that, "LOCALSTATEDIR is the state directory
specified via ‘--localstatedir’ at configure time, usually ‘/var’"
in:

  (info "(guix) The Store")