guix-devel

postgres 9.6.2 update breakage

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: postgres 9.6.2 update breakage
Date: Sat, 13 May 2017 16:14:43 +0200

Hi!

I reconfigured my system and pulled in the postgres 9.6.2 update.  Now
postgres does not start, /var/log/messages has

    May 12 13:02:52 localhost postgres[451]: [1-1] FATAL:  database files are
incompatible with server
    May 12 13:02:52 localhost postgres[451]: [1-2] DETAIL:  The data directory
was initialized by PostgreSQL version 9.5, which is not compatible with this
version 9.6.2.

I have reverted the postgres update and everything is "fine" again.s

How do we want to handle this?  I imagine that postgres has some way to
update its database...and I probably can figure out how to do that.  But
do our users need to know this?  And more importantly, if I upgrade,
will I be able to revert to a previous generation of my system?

Greetings,
janneke

Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | AvatarĀ®  http://AvatarAcademy.nl