guix-devel

Re: Heads-up: transition to Guile 2.2

From: myglc2
Subject: Re: Heads-up: transition to Guile 2.2
Date: Thu, 11 May 2017 07:53:46 -0400

On 05/11/2017 at 10:29 Ludovic Courtès writes:

> myglc2 <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> address@hidden ~/src/guix$ guix package -i icecat
>> guix package: warning: Your Guix installation is 85 days old.
>> guix package: warning: Consider running 'guix pull' followed by
>> 'guix package -u' to get up-to-date packages and security updates.
>> [...]
>>
>> But I just did a git pull ...
>>
>> address@hidden ~/src/guix$ git -C ~/.config/guix/latest describe
>> v0.12.0-3681-gbc0e6c931
>>
>> ... and my ~/.config/guix/latest points to it ...
>
> This is a special setup.  The warning above just stats
> ~/.config/guix/latest.  For someone using ‘guix pull’, it’s a symlink
> that’s updated each time ‘guix pull’ is invoked.
>
> In your case it’s a symlink that’s never updated… but your warranty is
> void anyway.  ;-)
>
> Ludo’.

Oh! Thanks! I can force a new symlink each time I re-make guix.

Maybe this is a situation where it would be beneficial to embed a
date. ISTM a canonical date can be determined for any guix version so it
would not lead to un-reproducibility. And it would be a nice gift to
researchers doing an archelogical dig 1000 years from now ;-)