guix-devel

Re: Doc: reference to guix-devel for submitting patches

From: Chris Marusich
Subject: Re: Doc: reference to guix-devel for submitting patches
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2017 19:48:15 -0700

Petter <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Guix,
>
> I quite recently realized I sent a couple of patches to guix-devel, whereas
> they should now go to guix-patches. I use the online manual and the current
> state is that there's a couple of references to guix-devel for submitting
> patches.
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Submitting-Patches.html#Submitting-Patches
>>We welcome contributions in the form of patches as produced by git
>>format-patch
>> sent to the mailing list
> Where "mailing list" is mailto:address@hidden This is updated in the
> repository however, so I assume the online manual will reflect this shortly.

In the current master branch, this has been changed to "guix-patches".
Perhaps somebody needs to update the website, too?  The website is
only updated periodically, so sometimes it is out of date.

> But here,
> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Contributing.html#Contributing
> it says
>> Please get in touch with us on address@hidden and #guix on the Freenode
>> IRC network. We welcome ideas, bug reports, patches, and anything that may be
>> helpful to the project.

Yes, this wording is unclear.  It could be interpreted as an invitation
to send bug reports and patches to guix-devel@, which is not quite
right.

On related note, I see there is a section on submitting patches ((guix)
Submitting Patches), but there is no similar, dedicated, section on
submitting bugs (i.e., to bug-guix).

> And here,
> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Packaging-Guidelines.html#Packaging-Guidelines
> the user is referred to the Contributing node.
>> Once your package builds correctly, please send us a patch (see
>> Contributing).
>
> I think at least one of the latter two nodes could use an update to better
> inform the soon-to-be-contributor that patches should go to guix-patches. Not
> sure what the better fix is though.
>
> What do you think?

Seems to me like we should clarify the wording in the "Contributing"
section.  And maybe we should add a "Submitting Bug Reports"
sub-section, similar to the "Submitting Patches" one.

Do you think you could try your hand at writing this?

--
Chris