guix-devel

Re: Guix command line flag consistency

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Guix command line flag consistency
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2017 00:46:25 +0200

Hello,

Mike Swierczek <address@hidden> skribis:

> On 04/15/2017 01:43 PM, Hartmut Goebel wrote:
>
>> Am 14.04.2017 um 22:57 schrieb Mike Swierczek:
>>> I'd much prefer if both the short and long command line arguments
>>> accepted their argument in any arrangement.
>> I also stumbled over "--show=foo" failing. I suggest guix should follow
>> the GNU command lien parsing conventions. Maybe this could be extended
>> with the possibility to unambiguous shorten long options.
>>
> Good idea on unambiguous shortening of long options.  That sounds good too.
>
> I don't mind trying to implement all of this, I just want to make sure
> the team likes the idea first.

An interesting option (heh!) would be to implement what argp does, which
is to allow users to write a prefix of the long option if it’s
unambiguous:

  https://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/Argp.html

Apart from that, the conventions we follow are indeed those:

  https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/html_node/Command_002dLine-Interfaces.html

though the parser we use, (srfi srfi-37), has small differences.

Ludo’.