guix-devel

Re: Some suggestion about "Contributing" documents.

From: myglc2
Subject: Re: Some suggestion about "Contributing" documents.
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2017 08:19:24 -0400

On 04/11/2017 at 09:40 ng0 writes:

> Can you come up with an chapters, subchapters, + briefly described /
> expected content map? This might help to work on it.
>
> Hartmut Goebel transcribed 0.5K bytes:
>> Am 11.04.2017 um 07:28 schrieb Feng Shu:
>> > "Contributing" document is hard to be understood i think.
>> > In my opinion, "Contributing" part of document should split
>> > two sub parts:
>> >
>> > 1. I am a guix core developer
>> >
>> > 2. I Just want to add a new apps's "define-public"
>>
>> Good idea. I'd even put the "add a new apps" part first since this is
>> what more people will do more often.
>>
>> --
>> Regards
>> Hartmut Goebel
>>
>> | Hartmut Goebel          | address@hidden               |
>> | www.crazy-compilers.com | compilers which you thought are impossible |

ISTM this should organized around an assumed "normal"
pattern-of-use. e.g., starting from assumption that Guix or GuixSD is
already installed and we use Guix to simplify the steps. Callouts should
be provided if any steps differ between for Guix or GuixSD users. In
this case a outline might look like ...

7 Contributing

- Setting up a Guix build from Git
 - git checkout
 - tool chain setup
  - sample: system.scm
  - sample: user.scm
 - first guix build
  - hacking steps
- modify an existing package
 - hacking steps
- add new package
 - hacking steps
- Submitting Patches::          Share your work.
- For guix core developers
 - Install Guix from source
 - Run Guix Before It Is Installed::  Hacker tricks.