guix-devel

Re: website question

From: ng0
Subject: Re: website question
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2017 20:49:33 +0000

Catonano transcribed 3.2K bytes:

> > I don’t understand what this message is about.  Is there some context
> > I’m missing?

Yeah, sorry. It could've been expressed with less noise, there's just
too much noise in my head for processing individual thought patterns (no
reference to the album ;D) in the recent weeks.

> Ok, this is how I understand this issue
>
> ng0 is preparing their web site for promoting their project (a live distro
> based on Guix)
>
> One feature ng0 wants for their site is the ability to show the contents of
> such site localized in several languages.

That is what I want for Guix as well, as I see it as an important
missing function.

> Like the Taler site https://taler.net/de/index.html (only parts are
> actually translated, as far as I can tell)

Yeah, I thought more of it was translated. But the possibility is there.

> It seems that Artanis and Haunt have no such functionality

Haunt simply has no opinion, and formats such as Markdown don't have it
either. The only format I am aware of which has this functionality is
the C meets HTML meets something else home-grown format a friend uses
since the '90s. If I come to find out that this is really the only time
saving solution, I will write something which just parses files writen
in that language, but I'd rather have something which works for
everyone and their existing environments.

> So ng0 is thinking to extend those and implement that functionality
> themselves
>
> Because they want something Guile based
>
> So they're asking how to proceed in order to make the result of such effort
> available not only to their site, but to the general Artanis/Haunt
> community.
>
> This is the context, to the extent that I'm aware of it
>
> My suggestion would be to extend Artanis/Haunt and send patches upstream.
>
> The Guile web site will catch up eventually.
>
> Otherwise, ng0, you could manage to produce some patches that apply to the
> common subset of files (common between Artanis/Haunt and your site)

Your reply helped a bit, thanks. Ultimately it's (hopefully) not only up
to me alone how we proceed with the web site at pragmatique.

I wrote the first message before I knew where I was going with the
layout, etc. It's loosely based on the Guix website but uses its own
theme, no images, etc. Just a first primary version (did I mention
already that school (the later digital/media/art related parts) ruined
art and web design for me? It's annoying.)