guix-devel

Re: screenshot of the web interface to the GNU Guix package manager

From: Thompson, David
Subject: Re: screenshot of the web interface to the GNU Guix package manager
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2016 11:07:57 -0400

On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 9:56 AM, ng0 <address@hidden> wrote:
> Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> address@hidden writes:
>>
>>> On https://git.dthompson.us/guix-web.git/blob/HEAD:/README.md
>>>
>>> there is a dead link to
>>> http://media.dthompson.us/mgoblin_media/media_entries/20/Screenshot_from_2014-08-13_180724.png
>>>
>>> - so no visible screenshot of the web interface to the GNU Guix package
>>> manager here...
>>>

>>> Does anyone have a screenshot maybe?  Thx!
>>
>> You can see a running instance of Guix web at
>> <http://guix.mdc-berlin.de>.
>>
>> It runs a slightly modified version of Dave’s code.
>>
>> ~~ Ricardo
>>

> A good number of people have pointed out to me that our /packages page
> crashes their browser or in general is really uncomfortable to load.
> The impression would be better if we provided something which might not
> be 100% done but at least does not crash/hang systems.
> What's in the way to use guix-web instead of the listing we have?
> Perfectionism and/or a lack of time?

Pagination can be achieved without the use of a dynamic web
application.  I wouldn't recommend guix-web for this right now because
it also loads slowly.  Some dynamic thing with a search box would be
cool in the future, but not now.

The Guile source that generates the web pages is available and
hackable, so it would be relatively easy for someone to break this
list up in some sane fashion and send a patch.  Any volunteers?

- Dave