guix-devel

Re: How does install-grub work?

From: Danny Milosavljevic
Subject: Re: How does install-grub work?
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 00:14:22 +0200

On Tue, 30 Aug 2016 00:00:35 +0200
David Craven <address@hidden> wrote:

> >> 1. Pick out your changes that are related to renaming grub to
> >> bootloader and add a shim for the uboot parts. That should be enough
> >> to get vm's booting.
>
> > Yes. Note that Ludo said that it might make sense to separate the build
> > side (gnu/build/install.scm and gnu/build/vm.sc) from the host side (other
> > stuff) also for the patches.
>
> So do you want me to take a stab at it or do you want to do it? =)

If possible, it would be great if you took care about the first part. I've done
all that I know how to do there and I think it should be mostly fine already.
Also, most of the renaming should be straightforward anyway. Looking back,
maybe I *shouldn't* have renamed anything - it's just cosmetic and makes the
patch look scary :)

The functionally important parts are the build-side procedure (install-u-boot),
the config data objects (u-boot-configuration) and the selection logic in
gnu/system.scm (*bootloader-configuration-*). It's actually no big deal.

> For parts two and three I'd have to rely on you, since I don't have
> access to hardware to actually test it...

No problem. I have 3 ARM boards here that I can test it on. They are quite slow
- so testing means ~ 3 days of waiting-for-it-to-finish-compiling. But I don't
have to sit next to it and wait :)

I do think that the extlinux.conf generation is finished as well. I will test
it, though.