guix-devel

Re: CFP: GNU Hacker Meeting 2016

From: Catonano
Subject: Re: CFP: GNU Hacker Meeting 2016
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2016 02:41:11 +0200

Ludo,

Good to have this feedback.  If we have some sort of a hands-on session,
we’ll try to have good videos, though I guess it’s hard to make good
videos from in-person sessions.  We’ll see!

I'm glad you appreciate the feedback. I understand it's difficult. It was just a suggestion

Did you look at some of the videos at <https://gnu.org/s/guix/help/#talks>?
These are clearly not tutorials, but there are demos, and I wonder how
useful that is as a complement to the manual(s).

I did.

In fact I took the idea of trying to interact with the store through the monad from a REPL from this talk of yours here

https://audio-video.gnu.org/video/misc/2015-01__GNU_Guix__The_Emacs_of_Distros.webm

Yes, those videos are a good complement to the manual, indeed.

But they tend to be an overview: the dependencies graph, the daemon, the store, the containers for building the packages, reproducible builds, the binaries distributed by Debian, Docker...

I suppose that if you'll have a training session while there, it'll be more focused and specific, not using an empty folder as an example ;-)

I'd love to be there with you.