guix-devel

Guix mentioned in Journal of Open Source Software (JOSS)

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Guix mentioned in Journal of Open Source Software (JOSS)
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2016 09:47:12 +0200

We published a paper on GeneNetwork which uses Guix for deployment:

  http://joss.theoj.org/papers/10.21105/joss.00025

The review process is online and you can see there were some hickups
with Guix:

  https://github.com/openjournals/joss-reviews/issues/25

(1) Roel has suggested we should script the binary installation. I think
that is a fine idea. That was hurdle one.

(2) Hurdle two is fixating the package tree. I would really like a

  git pull --version HASH

where HASH pulls a git HASH version of the gnu/packages tree and
compile the scheme files. That would help binary reproducibility
without having to check out the full tree.

We don't need to roll-back the guix client, though that would be nice
too and should be possible with Guix. Just give it a different binary
name, how about guix-HASH? When using guix-HASH it would automatically
use the older guix and the older package tree.

Or something along that vein.

(3) I also think the default GUIX key should just be available. Why make
guix authorize an extra step? When I install guix, I WANT it.

(4) Finally, is there a way to automatically inject the search paths in
the shell? Rather than printing them, and people have to copy-paste,
why not create a new shell with paths set? Or is that already
available?

Addressing these 4 points and Guix install should be a breeze ;). Even
with an external package path.

Pj.