guix-devel

GNUNet packages

From: ng0
Subject: GNUNet packages
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2016 21:20:52 +0000

I believe the thread was broken in my mailbox because I used gmane
for a while.

Here is one question regarding the package:
On Gentoo we created a user and group dedicated to gnunet
(sample, unfinished post install notes from gentoo below),
gnunet would be started under this user, and users who
would want to use gnunet applications join its group.

As the /gnu/store/ is unchangeable and I plan to make
the gnunet config configurable by a service anyhow, this
leaves (maybe already solved) questions open for me:

1. Is such behavior (a gnunet group to join) desired for Guix?
2. Does the default kernel ship with an enabled /dev/net/tun?

I think I know that the group thing is unnecessary as soon as
we have a service, but I thought I ask again.

pkg_postinst() {
        # We should update the gtk icon cache for the icons.
        # @TODO: provide average working example config to copy for user.
        # @TOO: point out that exact time is needed currently.
        elog "To configure"
        elog "   1) Add desired user(s) to the 'gnunet' group"
        elog "   2) Edit the system-wide config file '/etc/gnunet/gnunet.conf'"
        elog "      preferably using 'gnunet-setup -c /etc/gnunet/gnunet.conf'"
        elog "      ('gnunet-setup' is part of the gnunet-gtk package)"
        elog "   3) You may want to choose other bootstrap nodes than the ones"
        elog "      provided in /usr/share/gnunet/hellos or remove them if you"
        elog "      want to run GNUnet another way."
        elog "   4) Certain services will require '/dev/net/tun' to exist,"
        elog "      which you must enable in your kernel."
        elog " "
        elog "Optionally, emerge gnunet-gtk to get a GUI for file-sharing and"
        elog "configuration. This is particularly recommended"
        elog "if your network setup is non-trivial, as gnunet-setup can be"
        elog "used to test in the GUI if your network configuration is working."
        elog "gnunet-setup should be run as the \"gnunet\" user under X.  As it"
        elog "does very little with the network, running it as \"root\" is
likely"
        elog "also harmless.  You can also run it as a normal user, but then"
        elog "you have to copy \"~/.gnunet/gnunet.conf\" over to the \"gnunet\"
user's"
        elog "home directory in the end."
        elog " "
        elog "Once you have configured your peer, run (as the 'gnunet' user)"
        elog "\"gnunet-arm -s\" to start the peer. You can then run the various"
        elog "GNUnet-tools as your \"normal\" user (who should only be in the
group 'gnunet')."
}

--
♥Ⓐ ng0