guix-devel

Re: gnome-tweak-tool tweaks

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: gnome-tweak-tool tweaks
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2016 14:24:27 +0200

Hello!

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden> skribis:

> When starting gnome-tweak-tool, it prints a warning
>
>     GLib-GIO-Message: Using the 'memory' GSettings backend.  Your settings
> will not be saved or shared with other applications.
>
> The patch below has gnome-tweak-tool communicate with gsettings instead
> of using the `memory.  I'm not sending it as a fix yet because
> gnome-tweak-tool does not list any themes, as davexunit reported.

So does the patch fix something?  (Sorry, I’m quite ignorant about
GNOMEy things.)

> I/O error : Permission denied
> I/O error : Permission denied
> Failed to write XML file; For permission problems, try rerunning as root

I found that string comes from ‘shared-mime-info’, which is itself used
by the ‘xdg-mime-database’ hook in (guix profiles) (a hook that runs
when the profile is created to update the MIME database):

static gboolean save_xml_file(xmlDocPtr doc, const gchar *filename, GError
**error)
{
#if LIBXML_VERSION > 20400
        if (xmlSaveFormatFileEnc(filename, doc, "utf-8", 1) < 0)
        {
                g_set_error(error, G_FILE_ERROR, G_FILE_ERROR_FAILED,
                            "Failed to write XML file; For permission problems,
try rerunning as root");
                return FALSE;
        }
#else

宋文武: any idea what the problem might be?  Perhaps
‘update-mime-database’ is trying to write to /gnu/store/…-something?

Also, it’s a problem that ‘update-mime-database’ returns 0 here, as
seems to be the case.

Thanks,
Ludo’.